More Sherlock Holmes … and Conan

I always thought that the only Sherlock Holmes stories that were there to read were those by Conan. When I came across 'The House of Silk', I read somewhere that this was the first time a non-Conan Sherlock Holmes novel was written officially endorsed by the Conan Doyle Estate. The estate of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle granted permission for the first new Sherlock Holmes novel in 96 years, to be written by Anthony Horowitz.

I finished reading the entire Conan and have the House of Silk to take up next. But curiosity got the better of me and I wondered if I could find more of Sherlock Holmes by other authors (even if not endorsed by the Conan estate); just like I had discovered several more Three Investigator titles when I searched.

With that began a search for more of non-Conan Sherlock Holmes stories 

An Amazon search of 'Sherlock Holmes' helped me learn that plenty of authors tried their hand at writing stories/novels with a touch of Sherlock.

Wikipedia told me that Arthur Conan Doyle's son Adrian Conan Doyle in a joint effort with John Dickson Carr wrote twelve Sherlock Holmes short stories which were published under the title 'The Exploits of Sherlock Holmes' in 1954

I also came across 'The Misadventures of Sherlock Holmes' which seems to be a comic / humorous take on Sherlock. A description of the book on some dated edition back cover goes like this "The Misadventures of Sherlock Holmes gathers together the best of the hilarious mishaps that have befallen the greatest detective of them all--the tales that Watson couldn't or wouldn't tell, for reason of discretion or just plain incredulity. This hugely entertaining volume--essential reading for Sherlockians and a feast of amusement for everyone else--is a collection of parodies, burlesques, pastiches and "unofficial" adventures."
Well ... both of them join my reading list now :)
 

During this search, I also realized that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote a lot of non-Sherlock stuff too. I searched for them too so I could read some of it too. Reading Conan without Sherlock in the story would be an interesting experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tongue Twister - V for Vendetta

Gandhi Topi !!